Human trafficking has been recognized by government leaders as one of the priority issues of our time. In the past fifteen years, there has been a surge in activity aimed at addressing human trafficking. Numerous laws, policies, and programs have been created to strength capacity to prevent, identify, and respond to human trafficking. A lot of the current work addresses the problem after harm has occurred. This work, which includes apprehending traffickers and assisting survivors, is vital, but much more is needed to prevent human trafficking from occurring in the first place. Ultimately, a comprehensive, multi-sector response must be developed.
This page highlights both my research on human trafficking and other work that I view as informative.
- The Child Trafficking Pandemic: A Public Health Response [Book project]
- Human Trafficking in Supply Chains -- An Evaluation of Law Aimed at Fostering Private Sector Engagement
Selected articles in peer review and law journals:
- "Physician Encounters with Human Trafficking: Legal Consequences and Ethical Considerations," AMA Journal of Ethics, 19(1): 16-22 (2017)
- The Complexities of Conducting Research on Child Trafficking, JAMA Pediatrics, Online First, November 28, 2016 (lead author, with Leslie Wolf)
- Can Mandatory Reporting Laws Help Child Survivors of Human Trafficking?, Wisconsin Law Review Forward, 2016: 69-78 (2016).
- Human Trafficking and Film: How Popular Portrayals Influence Law and Public Perception, Cornell Law Review Online, 101: 1-24 (2015).
- Responding to the Sexual Exploitation of Minors, New England Journal of Medicine, 370(14): 1282-1283 (April 3, 2014) (lead author, with Ellen Wright Clayton)
- A Child Rights Framework for Addressing Trafficking of Children, Michigan State International Law Review, 22: 557-593 (2014)
- Human Rights, Labor, and the Prevention of Human Trafficking: A Response to A Labor Paradigm for Human Trafficking, UCLA Law Review Discourse, 60: 142-158 (2013)
- Human Trafficking and the Private Sector: A Role for Corporate Counsel, International Law News 42(4): 18-20 (ABA Section of International Law, Fall 2013)
- A Public Health Approach to Human Trafficking, Global Eye on Human Trafficking, 12: 10-11 (International Organization for Migration), April 2013)
- Assessing Public Health Strategies for Advancing Child Protection: Human Trafficking as a Case Study, Journal of Law and Policy, 21: 93-112 (2012)
- The Private Sector’s Pivotal Role in Combating Human Trafficking, California Law Review Circuit, 3: 80-98 (2012)
- Human Trafficking: A Global Problem with a Local Impact, Georgia Bar Journal, 17: 12-19 (June 2012) (lead author, with Michael Baumrind)
- Widening Our Lens: Incorporating Essential Perspectives in the Fight against Human Trafficking, Michigan Journal of International Law, 33: 53-76 (2011)
- Moving Upstream: The Merits of a Public Health Law Approach to Human Trafficking, North Carolina Law Review, 89: 447-506 (2011)
- Taking Prevention Seriously: Developing a Comprehensive Response to Child Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, 43: 1-56 (2010)
- Law, Otherness, and Human Trafficking, Santa Clara Law Review, 49: 605-672 (2009)
- Council of Europe Addresses Sexual Abuse and Exploitation of Children, International Law News, 37(2): 15-17 (ABA Section of International Law, Spring 2008)
- The Importance of Realizing “Other Rights” to Prevent Sex Trafficking, Cardozo Journal of Law & Gender, 12: 885-907 (2006)
- Combating Trafficking of Persons, International Law News, 34(3): 1, 8-9 (Summer 2005). Selected for & reprinted in “Best of ABA Sections” issue of GPSolo, Vol 23 (Mar. 2006)
- Prosecuting Sex Tour Operators in U.S. Courts in an Effort to Reduce the Sexual Exploitation of Children Globally, Boston University Public Interest Law Journal, 9: 1-23 (1999)
University of Minnesota Human Rights Library, Treaties on Human Trafficking
Other useful links:
- European Commission, Together Against Trafficking in Human Beings
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime
- US Department of State Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons
Resources for research, advocacy, and current news: